When should you file a WSIB claim?
Immediately following a work-related accident (e.g. falling off a ladder, slipping and falling on wet floor or ice, sudden back pain after lifting or twisting).

What should you do first?​
Tell your employer about your accident.This generally means notifying the school principal, vice-principal and/or health and safety representative.
Request the principal to submit a report to the WSIB. Your employer is required to send the WSIB a report of your accident within three days of finding out about it.

Medical Attention
Get medical attention right away (first aid, hospital emergency, family doctor).
Advise the treating health care practitioner that you are being seen for a work-related injury and ask that they forward a report (Form 8) to the WSIB.

Is there a time limit for filing a claim for benefits?
Yes. In order to get WSIB benefits, you must file a claim as soon as possible, and no later than six (6) months from the date of your accident
or from the date you find out you are suffering from an occupational disease.

How do you file a claim for benefits?
By signing the Employer’s Report of Injury/Disease (Form 7) or you can fill out and sign the Worker’s Report of Injury (Form 6).
Please make sure you read the Form 7 (Employer’s Report) before signing and that you agree with the details in the report.
This form should be available in your workplace. If you do not sign the Form 7 the WSIB will send you a Form 6 to complete.
Your treating health care practitioner can also initiate a claim by submitting the Form 8 to the WSIB.

If you do not receive a Form 6, phone WSIB and ask them to send you one.
When filling out the form, give as much detail about the accident as you can.
You should also contact WSIB and ask to be sent a Form 6 if you think that your employer has not reported your accident.
The employer must give you a copy of the Form 7 it sends to the WSIB.
If you fill out Form 6, you must make a copy for your employer.

What should happen next?
You should get a letter from the WSIB giving you a claim number. A claim number does not mean that your claim has been accepted. It only means that the WSIB knows about your claim and has opened a file for it. You should use this number every time you contact the WSIB about your claim. If you do not receive a claim number, it may mean that the WSIB does not know about your claim. In this event, you should contact the WSIB immediately to find out if there is a problem with your claim.

What if your benefits are delayed?
This could mean that the WSIB has not received all of the information it needs to make its decision (e.g. the doctor’s report or employer’s report is missing); or, it could mean that the WSIB is investigating your claim and that a decision will be made later. If you do not receive a letter of explanation, call the WSIB and ask what is causing the delay. You should ask to speak to the claims adjudicator assigned to your file.

What if your claim is denied?
You should get a letter telling you why the WSIB has decided not to grant you any benefits. If your claim is denied, you have six (6) months from the date of the WSIB decision to notify WSIB that you wish to appeal such a decision. Notification that you wish to appeal must be in writing, stating the reason(s) why you wish to appeal.

For more information regarding members’ rights and obligations call PRS at 416-962-3836 or 1-888-838-3836.